Japan
- A Tour of the World's First Robot-Staffed Hotel (02:22)
Belgium
USA
Technology has developed immensely since a few decades ago. Imagine, going into a hotel, thinking that there would be a human receptionist but all of a sudden it is a robot, how would you feel? The U.S. online bookings company Travelzoo had a survey. It shows that out of 6,000 travelers that were surveyed globally, roughly 2/3 of the people said they would be comfortable being welcomed by robots.
Since well known hotels worldwide started to have robots, we can assume that this is a trend today. Also, there is high possibility that robots would work in this hospitality industry in the future.
Karina and Yuko's point of view is it is worth to try to stay at these hotels and see how we like. Manuela has the opposite point of view that it is so weird and will not be comfortable. Some of them are might be interested, some are offensive, yet maybe one day a robot hotel is coming in Canada as well.
Since well known hotels worldwide started to have robots, we can assume that this is a trend today. Also, there is high possibility that robots would work in this hospitality industry in the future.
Karina and Yuko's point of view is it is worth to try to stay at these hotels and see how we like. Manuela has the opposite point of view that it is so weird and will not be comfortable. Some of them are might be interested, some are offensive, yet maybe one day a robot hotel is coming in Canada as well.
Questions
1) In the long run, say 10 years from now, would replacing humans with robots still be effective? Why?
2) Besides the fear that robots will take human jobs, what are some other down sides to replacing humans with robots?
3) Be creative, what are some other futuristic and innovated ways that hotels can attract more people in the years to come?
1) In the long run, say 10 years from now, would replacing humans with robots still be effective? Why?
2) Besides the fear that robots will take human jobs, what are some other down sides to replacing humans with robots?
3) Be creative, what are some other futuristic and innovated ways that hotels can attract more people in the years to come?
Reference
A., Waters. (2016, March 12). The Marriott hotel in Ghent has moved from training staff to building its own, the Belgian hotel has become the first in Europe to employ a humanoid robot, although he had taken the day off from his duties to make an appearance at the ITB Convention in Berlin. Retrieved October 14, 2016, from http://www.4hoteliers.com/itb/newsarticle/487
E., B. (2015, September 11). Robot at Your Service - Heart of the House. Retrieved October 14, 2016, from http://stories.marriott.com/robot-at-your-service/
Hilton And IBM Pilot “Connie,” The World’s First Watson-Enabled Hotel Concierge. (2016, March 9). Retrieved October 14, 2016, from http://news.hiltonworldwide.com/index.cfm/news/hilton-and-ibm-pilot-connie-the-worlds-first-watsonenabled-hotel-concierge
Meet Connie: Pilot of the first cognitive-powered robot. (2016, March 9). Retrieved October 14, 2016, from https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/49307.wss
Neild, B. (2016, March 23). Japan's robot hotel opens its (automatic) doors. Retrieved October 13, 2016, from http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/travel/japan-hotel-robot-opens/index.html
Wong, M. H. (2016, January 12). Japan's robot hotel opens its (automatic) doors. Retrieved October 13, 2016, from http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/travel/japan-hotel-robot-opens/index.html
A., Waters. (2016, March 12). The Marriott hotel in Ghent has moved from training staff to building its own, the Belgian hotel has become the first in Europe to employ a humanoid robot, although he had taken the day off from his duties to make an appearance at the ITB Convention in Berlin. Retrieved October 14, 2016, from http://www.4hoteliers.com/itb/newsarticle/487
E., B. (2015, September 11). Robot at Your Service - Heart of the House. Retrieved October 14, 2016, from http://stories.marriott.com/robot-at-your-service/
Hilton And IBM Pilot “Connie,” The World’s First Watson-Enabled Hotel Concierge. (2016, March 9). Retrieved October 14, 2016, from http://news.hiltonworldwide.com/index.cfm/news/hilton-and-ibm-pilot-connie-the-worlds-first-watsonenabled-hotel-concierge
Meet Connie: Pilot of the first cognitive-powered robot. (2016, March 9). Retrieved October 14, 2016, from https://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/49307.wss
Neild, B. (2016, March 23). Japan's robot hotel opens its (automatic) doors. Retrieved October 13, 2016, from http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/travel/japan-hotel-robot-opens/index.html
Wong, M. H. (2016, January 12). Japan's robot hotel opens its (automatic) doors. Retrieved October 13, 2016, from http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/17/travel/japan-hotel-robot-opens/index.html


To answer question 2, I think there are a few other downsides to robots replacing humans in the job market. As it stands, robots do not have the flexibility that humans do, and are not able to adapt to situations that fall outside of their programming. This would become an issue if the robots were dealing directly with customers, because it's impossible to anticipate every need, question, or comment that a customer could make, making it impossible to program for. Another issue would be if the robot malfunctioned. Repair would be necessary immediately, in order for the robot to continue to work, and that would create a new cost for the business. On top of needing immediate repair, the robot could cause damage, which would also be costly.
ReplyDeleteSo in my opinion, while there are already robots at work doing jobs such as fabrication, I don't think there is much of a job market for them to expand into. The results would be costly and ineffective in a lot of areas, particularly where interacting with humans is involved. There would need to be significant advances in how they are programmed for that to happen.
- Alana Main
I'm 100% with you Alana. To be quiet frank, I'm not with this idea at all since I, too, think we are going to face a lot of difficulties with the robots. This generation is developing a lot with technology but this idea may not get too far because of its problems. Thanks for the comment!
DeleteThe fear of being replace for robots started years ago. It still not possible in certain works, but it is fact that robots or computerize services are effective for booking, checking and in manufacturing (for example). I personally prefer dealing with human being, so they can response to my needs in an unprogrammed way.
ReplyDeleteYes Elizabeth I'm on the same page as you. Certain things need computerizing systems so that it is less work for us humans. But majority of the customer service work should be done by humans since we both agree that it seems more logical. Thanks for the comment!
DeleteThe downside of replacing humans with robots is a bad thing because it means that people will be loosing jobs. Not everyone is okay with being serviced with by a robot. I know personally that I will not be okay if I was staying in a hotel with robots especially the human like one.
ReplyDeleteMore ways hotels can attract people is by adding more tablets as a way of communication to the staff apposed to calling in. It make it more easier to order room service, get more towels etc.
I definitely agree with you Rumsha, many people will be losing jobs. And yes, it is very creepy to be served by a robot that looks like a human. Personally, I don't like the idea too. But some people I know are willing to give it a try and since it is a 5 star restaurant in Japan..lets see how far this robot business is going to go. Thanks for the comment!
DeleteRobots doing service is so curious and new to me. It is just that. They will not take place of human to do many more complicated things. Many customer services need people to contribute not only labor but also intelligence to complete. Even though new technology already developed some of smart robots. I think, after all, they are the product of human being's intelligence. I don't think they will exceed people's control. Anyway, I like your topic and really enjoy your presentation.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Fahad, many people will be losing jobs for sure. And yes the population is definitely increasing. Honestly, I don't know how long this fad is going to be but I'm positive it won't last very long. Thanks for the comment!
ReplyDeleteWow Shirley, I'm appalled by your comment. Most people are saying that robots are going to take over the human's jobs but you are saying the opposite. I like your way of thinking and I'm amazed how you actually said what is right. However, I still cannot see myself visiting a hotel that has robots as workers, but that's just me. I like this comment because you made a point nobody has pointed out yet. Thanks for the comment!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteI think everyone has overlooked what seems to be the obvious to me; it's a gimmick! I can't imagine labour costs would be any lower as a result of replacing humans with robots, as maintenance costs would be through the roof, and estheticians to be grooming the life-like robots constantly. Energy costs would be astronomical unless they are solar powered machines.
ReplyDeleteI think I would be willing to stay in a robot-run hotel, not for the "futuristic" values, but for the novelty of it. Robots can have menial tasks like organizing a locker room or performing a bellhop service, but hospitality requires a human touch, an anticipation for human needs and wants, and an attention to detail.
Perhaps you're right. The hospitality industry as a whole is a very detail and customer oriented industry. Although it really does seem intriguing and cool its definitely something that should be tested out even further before introducing it in a bunch of different hotels
DeleteI think robots will be more popular in the future, and many of jobs will be replaced quickly. Even today, if you go to McDonald's fast food restaurants, you see little kiosks that take your order. These are essentially robots that take your fast food orders. In near future, the technology will only get better and it will be matter of time before most of jobs today be replaced by robots - just like, how cars replaced horses 100 years ago.
ReplyDeleteI am totally on your side and it is true that technology is advancing and soon we are going to have limited amount of jobs but at the same time I feel like we will have more things to focus on other than jobs because the computer will do it all for us. Thanks for commenting!
DeleteI am pretty sure that human will be replaced by robot. There are positive and negative ways too. If company using robot for their service, it helps to reduce labor cost effectively. however, the quality of service is decease than human service such as face to face. so, it is a double edge sword.
ReplyDeleteYes I am on the same page as you and it definitely will have a negative and positive side. So for us I hope we can all focus on the positive sides and hope for the best. Thanks for commenting!
DeleteI think robots won’t have to be human-like in the future to greatly affect the personal life. In fact, the way they interact with each other could greatly improve quality of life. as the video shows, they could take care the packages. In the future, robots will be social. They could help us to take care of elders. (btw, I am Xiaoqing Wang)
ReplyDeleteThats true. As time passes and technology evolves robots do have the potential to become a great asset to our lives
DeleteIt is a good idea with replace robot with human, they can not only save a lot money on labour cost, also the labour related issue (harassment,or not doing a satisfying job). Hopefully, by the time, we placed human with robot, our technology will be advanced enough to provide easy troubleshoot for those robot, otherwise it not good idea to place human with robots. However,some people (especially elder people) may find cold blooded when talking to a machine, when they are in an emergency (especially they when they knew they are talking to a machine...).
ReplyDeleteYes I agree with you it is both bad and good for us. But I feel like not everywhere will catch up with the whole technology thing and even if they do, they will have easier options for the elders. Thanks for commenting!
DeleteI believe that a major downside to replacing humans with robots is that you take away the human to human interaction. This takes away the sympathy, empathy and, understanding that the other human would have. If you were to interact with a robot regarding an issue that was affected by a personal matter, then they wouldn't understand why you were so deeply affected by your emotions. They have no understanding of what emotions are and thus would make it very difficult to interact with them.
ReplyDeleteI am on your side on this and I feel like customer service should be human to human for many reasons. You're absolutely right about not having the sympathy, empathy, and understanding with machines and I hope others understand that as well. Thanks for commenting!
DeleteIn Toronto, I have worked with a robot that makes food and then served by humans. Positive side of having a robot is that it makes food faster than humans do. Few years ago, I was helping a sushi chef, at one of his restaurant, he introduced me to a robot that makes sushi rolls. It takes a minute to roll about 3-4 rolls at once, faster than I do when I was taking about a minute to do 2 rolls. Downside from my experience, robots are not experienced to do tighter rolls, so whenever a roll is done by the robot, I have to redo it and make it solid for easy cutting or else the filling comes out. In conclusion, the downside of replacing humans with robots, we create unemployment for ourselves and create more problems.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. And to replace cooks/chefs with robots is probably not the best of ideas. For people outside the culinary industry it must look cool and intriguing, but for us that would have to work side by side with them it would just not be functional
DeleteI feel like if robots replace human jobs, then there's more room for error. Because robots don't have feelings and don't know if they are messing something up, then I feel like there will be more problems and mistakes. Also, those robots were super creepy.
ReplyDeleteYes I agree with you and definitely there would be more errors. That is why I hope not everywhere has the robot option. Not everybody would be comfortable dealing with a robot and yes, in fact, it is very strange to be talking to one instead of a human. Thanks for commenting!
DeleteSounds ridiculous, but really cool, so I'm definitely buyin' it. It should be a fun experience for the kids, too.
ReplyDeleteUntil the day we finally utilize AI (and risk the possibility of the human race being enslaved by a robot society), robots will not be able to replace people as a hospitality standard or even in most service-related jobs without real-time control from technicians likely to be controlling the robot behind a computer screen. So for now, I can only see it as an obvious gimmick or a theme rather than something that can be considered feasible for the general (the serious, business or economic side of) the hotel industry. But, yea, maybe for themed hotels. I mean there are already hotels like love hotels or ice hotels so why not robot hotels?
Posted by Xuanzuo Liu.
Here's my rule:
DeleteProduction or back of the house => human controlled robots
Front of the house service => PEOPLE with FEELINGS, unless if it's a gimmick that is feasible
We already have cleaning robots, surgical robots, space robots, factory robots, etc. But having a robot as a front desk/receptionist/server/omakase chef/car dealer/trip advisor/etc. is only ever going to be a gimmick, is what I'm trying to say.
I see where you are coming from and it's great to know that you would try it. You are right about us having control behind the screen and it is, indeed, true. But who knows maybe in the future we won't be controlling it anymore and technology will do its job, right? Thanks for commenting!
DeleteI don't see human being replaced by robots, specially because they need human to maintain them. Also I wont feel comfortable being attended by a robot, I think that it is weird, special those which look like monster.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you Elizabeth and you are right about us maintaining the robots. However, it would be nice to try something new because it does sound interesting for the least. Thanks for the comment!
ReplyDeleteAs the development of the times, science and technology continue to progress. I think there are some things to replace the human robot is good. after all, human work is limited, if some things can replace the robot, this can improve the efficiency of the work, but will save a lot of time and money. I think the community can slowly consider this way
ReplyDeleteYes I see where you are coming from, but we also have to look at both sides of this because, yes, it may replace human jobs for sure. It is not a pleasant idea but it may eventually happen and that is going to get most of us out of jobs. Thanks for the comment!
ReplyDeleteRobots are really attractive to work for humans, but I worry about the accuracy of robots, so if robots can really replace human work, it means that a large number of human jobs are being replaced, unemployment is rising
ReplyDeleteI'm trying to comprehend what you mean by attractive but I think I know. Yes, unemployment will rise due to the robotic features, however, it is nice to have some robotic features in the hotel just to make it unique. Thanks for commenting!
ReplyDelete